Search This Blog

Copyright. Don't steal the contents of this blog. Please and thank you. Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Last Day of Work


School officially ended for students on June 7th and teachers June 8th, but since we had to be in Hawaii on the 7th, my last day of work was Friday, June 1st.  For a while, I knew this was going to be my last day, but it didn't really hit me until I stepped foot into the building on that day. I saw a co-worker, and immediately lost it. Then I continued to cry periodically throughout the day at different triggers. Thankfully, for the most part, I kept composure in front of the students, just not my co-workers. I felt so silly, but I think everything - all of the many big life changes - were starting to sink it, and it was a lot more emotional than I anticipated. It was a bittersweet day, for sure.  

I could go on and on about how much I loved my job. The school. The administrators. My co-workers. My students. Everything. Teaching 6th grade math is a wonderful job. 

I particularly loved this years' students, and they made my last day very special and memorable. Early in the day, they surprised me with this canvas.  
Then, throughout the day, my whiteboard was slowly filled with signatures and messages. It was the biggest "yearbook" page I'd ever seen.  
Originally, I didn't plan on telling my students I was moving, simply because we were moving over the summer and it wouldn't really affect them. When we first found out, I didn't think I'd have to end the school year early, and they weren't going to have me in 7th grade anyway. But through word of mouth they found out.  
One day, towards the end of class, one of my students asked if I would be teaching at the school next year (I guess her mom had seen my job posted on the district webpage). It was as if the room silenced perfectly at that moment, too. Of course, I couldn't lie. I very reluctantly said, "No."  
[Insert lots of student gasps]. 
Naturally, the next question..."Why not?" I said, "because I'm moving..." 
[More gasps and comments]. 
The question followed, "Where?" I replied, "Hawaii."  

I clearly remember thinking it was almost comical. Who honestly gets to move to Hawaii? I seriously felt like I was lying to the students, even though it was true! 

A similar conversation continued throughout the rest of the day. Once that 3rd period class knew, I knew all of the other students would soon find out (especially after lunch). I ended up making class announcements in the rest of my classes, because I wanted them to hear it from me, but I think it was too late for many students. It was funny because by 9th period, as students entered my classroom, I could hear them whisper, "Do you think it's true?" "I don't know. Just ask her." 

June 1 was a scheduled "Fun Day" with a kickball tournament in the morning. My homeroom was determined to win because it was my last day. So sweet. Our team name was the Hawaiian Men in Black (hence the t-shirts). Cute, right? Rainy weather caused the game to be post-poned, but we still had a fun day.  
I wanted to give my students something small on my last day - Hawaiian leis seemed appropriate.   
I didn't want the day to end. I don't like change. Or good-byes.

After a very emotionally exhausting day, Dan came to pick me up, and helped me clean out my classroom. I was amazed at how much I accumulated in just two years. Co-workers popped in while we were cleaning, and more bittersweet good-byes ensued. 
Later that evening was the school's annual Concert on the Lawn. Again, rain caused the event to be moved inside. My parents had just gotten to town for Dan's graduation weekend, so my mom met me at the school. Some of my students were performing in a band, and other students were helping out with the event. It was nice to see some students and co-workers one more time. And it was a blessing to have my mom there to take pictures for me.  
When the students saw that I was there, they made me promise I'd keep watching the show. After the student band finished one of their songs, they called all 6th graders in the audience and invited them to go up on the stage with them.  Once the 6th graders were on stage, in unison they all yelled, "We love you, Mrs. DiBlasi!" As if that wasn't sweet enough, they then proceeded to have an "open mic" where students shared what they loved about math and how they're going to miss me. I was embarrassed. I was humbled. I was truly touched. As the students came off the stage, some of them were crying. It was so sweet. So sad. Brought tears to my eyes all over again. But I was overwhelmed with gratitude.  
Right now, as I'm writing, it just feels like summer vacation (that happens to be in Hawaii). I'm a teacher...I normally have the summers off.  However, come fall, I know it will sink in. And I know I'm going to miss everyone that much more.  

We hope to return to Erie for several reasons, but my job is definitely a big one!


No comments:

Post a Comment